In 1860, the Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal (CRRNJ) chartered a waterfront location in Jersey City for its new terminal. Completed four years later, the terminal was constructed primarily on landfill from New York City and ballast from ocean going vessels. With the opening of the Immigration Station on Ellis Island in 1892, traffic increased dramatically. Two-thirds of the immigrants processed there, upwards of 10.5 million people, started their new lives via the CRRNJ Terminal, settling in New Jersey or traveling on to other states. By the turn of the century, the CRRNJ Terminal accommodated between 30,000-50,000 people per day on 128 ferry runs and 300 trains. By 1914, the train and ferry sheds were enlarged to accommodate the growing numbers of commuters. The train shed, still standing today, housing 20 tracks, was the largest one ever built. The terminal operated until 1967.