The First Presbyterian Church, built on the site of the original meetinghouse from c. 1664, was one of the targets of British attacks on Elizabeth in January 1780. Its pastor, James Caldwell, supported the patriot cause, as did many of the church’s members. Caldwell’s wife Hannah was killed in the battle of Connecticut Farms (now the town of Union) in June 1780 and Caldwell was killed a year and a half later. They are both buried in the cemetery, along with many other veterans of the Revolution. By the 1750’s the need for and interest in secondary education prompted church leaders to build a modest school called the “Academy” about 200 yards from the church. Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton were among the first pupils of the Academy. The building that stands on the site today, built in 1917, has recently been re-opened as a museum, cultural and community center.